The Supreme Court today granted interim bail to Lt Colonel Prasad Shrikant Purohit, the main accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case which killed seven people.

Last week, Purohit, in his application for bail, had told the court that he had been in jail for the last nine years and was entitled to be granted bail.

Denying his involvement in the incident, Purohit told the court that even assuming that the charges that he had supplied the bomb were true, he would still have to be out of jail as the offence attracted a maximum of seven years' imprisonment.

At least seven persons were killed and nearly 100 injured when a bomb strapped to a motorcycle exploded in Malegaon in Nashik district on September 29, 2008.

On April 25 this year, the Bombay High Court granted bail to another accused in the case, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.

Our Bureau