New Maldivian President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih will arrive in Delhi on Sunday on a three-day state visit, during which he will hold talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi to strengthen bilateral ties.

Solih, who surprisingly defeated strongman Abdulla Yameen in September, will arrive in the afternoon and hold talks with Modi on Monday. He will also meet President Ram Nath Kovind the same day.

He will be accorded a ceremonial reception at the Rashtrapati Bhawan on December 17. He will then participate in the wreath-laying ceremony at Mahatma Gandhi's Samadhi at Rajghat. 

Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will also call on Solih during his visit.

The Maldivian president, who will be accompanied by his wife Fazna Ahmed, will visit the Taj Mahal on Tuesday before heading back to his country.

This is the Solih's maiden visit to India after assuming office on November 17, in a swearing-in ceremony attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Modi had said in the Maldives that he was looking forward to working closely with Solih as both the leaders expressed confidence in the renewal of the close ties and friendship between the two countries, which was briefly interrupted by political turmoil in the Indian Ocean island nation.

The newly-elected Maldives' President had briefed the Prime Minister about Maldives' fragile economic situation. The two leaders had discussed ways in which India can continue development partnership, particularly to help the new government in meeting its pledges to the people of the Maldives.

Both leaders had also agreed on the importance of maintaining peace and security in the Indian Ocean and being mindful of each other's concerns and aspirations for the stability of the region. They had also expressed their unwavering commitment and support for increased cooperation in combating terrorism both within the region and elsewhere. 

Relations between India and the Maldives deteriorated further after Yameen imposed emergency on February 5 this year.

India had criticised Yameen's decision and asked his government to restore the credibility of the electoral and political process by releasing political prisoners. The emergency lasted for 45 days.